It’s Friday! And the start of a long weekend, at that. Hallelujah.
A couple shots from the Santa Monica pier concert last night to get things going…
It’s crazy how much darker it was when we arrived at the pier than just 2 weeks ago. Summer really is coming to an end. 🙁
Moving along, did you guys know that it’s Bring Your Lunch to Work Day!?
Just kidding. EVERY day is Bring Your Lunch to Work Day.
I’ve started posting fewer daily pictures of my lunches, but that doesn’t mean I’ve stopped bringing them. Every Monday through Thursday, I bring my own lunches, and on Fridays, Andrew and I do “Funch”. A lot of times Funch is just a big salad from with cafe salad bar downstairs, but I’m secure enough to admit that I get very excited about salad bars. And the salad bar in our building happens to be really solid.
Side note: At one point, a survey was sent out asking what people would like to see (or not see) in the salad bar. I went all out with my survey and basically just threw down the gauntlet of salad bar truth:
1. NOBODY has time for mushrooms, they are gross. It’s a fact.
2. Avocado is important. Do not overlook it.
3. Bring on the nuts and seeds (sunflower seeds are my preference). A mix of different textures is what makes a good salad great.
4. Hard boiled egg is a great non-offensive protein. Chicken is good, but all too often it’s super dry in a salad bar. Same with tuna.
5. Provide a big selection of dressings, as well as straight up olive oil and balsamic for those who like to create their own.
Kale is a nice addition to a salad bar, but not crucial. A salad bar salad usually doesn’t have the luxury of time needed to soak up dressing. FUN FACT: Did you know that until very recently, Pizza Hut was the biggest buyer of kale in the US? Yep, it wasn’t part of the salad bar offerings though, it was used solely as garnish under the other items. Ha!
Back to work lunches…
I save so much money by bringing my lunches with me to work, and with a little pre-planning, it’s really no sweat. Here are some of my most common work lunches, in no particular order:
Brown Rice Bowls
Ok, so that one is quinoa.
Salads Topped with Random Leftovers
And just for fun, Funches
Hope you guys have a GREAT long weekend!
Question: What do you look for in a salad bar? What’s your “must have” item?